Recent Water Damage Posts
Local Suffern Property Owners Rely on SERVPRO for Expert Water Damage Restoration Services
Need help with mitigating water damage from a roof leak ruining your Suffern home's ceiling? SERVPRO provides the solutions--and fast.
SERVPRO Brings Years of Experience and Knowledge to Handle Suffern Water Damage Remediation
For its size as a small village in New York, Suffern's town has a large number of historically significant sites. Of particular interest to history buffs, George Washington stayed in the village on several occasions as America fought to get freed from British rule.
Suffern is a stop on the Washington–Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail, designated by the National Park Service. This trail recreates the route taken by General Washington and the French Comte de Rochambeau as they traveled to the siege of Yorktown, Virginia. This battle led to the victory for the newly named United States in gaining independence. This was no small number of soldiers. The Rochambeau encampment had roughly 5,000 men that stayed in August 1781, where the presently located Lafayette Theater, named for Revolutionary War Hero Marquis de Lafayette, resides. After the battle in Yorktown, the men came through again in September 1782 as they headed to New York and set up camp in the same place. There is a historical marker on the Washington Avenue side of the Lafayette Theater that marks the space as Rochambeau's Encampment site. At the time of the encampment, the place was across the road from the home and tavern owned by John Suffern, the village's founder. The property was torn down in the late 1800s and is now the Suffern Furniture Company's home. The top historic places to visit in the village are:
- Rochambeau Encampment located at Lafayette and Washington avenues
- Soldier's Monument, also known as Washington Ave. Monument,
- Suffern's Depot Located at 1 Erie Plaza
Some world-renowned brands have established bases in Suffern. The first railroad to cross Rockland County was the Erie Railroad. In exchange for the right-of-way given to the rail to run through Suffern by Judge Edward Suffern, son of the founder, the Erie Railroad named the depot "Suffern's Station." Another well-known company got its start in Suffern as the California Perfume Company when they built a laboratory in 1897. The lab went on to expand to 3,000 square feet and employ many residents when it re-branded as Avon Products. By 2005, the company expanded its global hub to a 225,000 square foot research and development facility in Suffern.
How Does SERVPRO Limit Disruption to Suffern Homes During Water Damage Restoration Services?
When SERVPRO technicians handle Suffern water damage, there are considerable efforts to disturb the home as little as possible. It is stressful to have a burst pipe or ceiling leaks from a damaged roof, and the techs know that. They make every effort to move out as few furnishings as possible, including:
- Putting furniture on blocks to dry in place during water removal services
- Use of secured pods on-site when interior humidity may further cause water damage repairs needed
- When circumstances require pack out, items get put back exactly in their original location
The portable pumps and maneuverable ride-on water extraction equipment used by SERVPRO allow the technicians to move around furnishings while still perform professional water removal services.
For fast, efficient water damage restoration services, call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County at (845) 400-4888. The trained, certified technicians are available 24/7 to make the issues caused by the water "Like it never even happened."
The Problem: It's the water you don't see
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a serious problem that will affect your property. Our SERVPRO Southern Rockland County service technicians have the training and equipment to find and dry unseen water before secondary damage occurs. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage and expense during a fire or water damage event.
When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to work, here are just a few of the tools our technicians use to do their job and restore your property.
Moisture sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate reading, allowing technicians to monitor the drying process.
Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, technicians can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but also to disinfect and deodorize.
Ultra Low-Volume Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard to reach areas.
Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
These are just a few pieces of the professional grade equipment that each SERVPRO technician is trained to use to help ensure your property is completely restored.
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County Has Drying Down To A Science
Did You Know There is Actually a Science Behind the Drying Process?
Having the knowledge of psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water-damaged structure to its preloss condition. Our SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County Service Technicians are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damage to your home or business property.
What is the Science of Drying?
The Science of Drying is a process that was created to establish industry guidelines, regulated techniques, and provide validation and documentation on the drying process.
Why is it important?
When it comes to water damage, there’s nothing more important than making sure the job is done right the first time. Doing so relies on a restoration company like SERVPRO that is dedicated to training, technology and technique. SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County is an industry leader in all three. We have the equipment to help dry hardwood floors, hard to reach spaces inside walls and much more. We also have state of the art monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your home or business. The technology of DryBook a proprietary tool that provides real-time documentation and updates on the drying process and helps ensure industry standards are met.
Our Service Technicians Will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in the wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature-by using professional drying equipment.
The bottom line? SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County has the training, equipment the technology to make your water damage or storm flood damage disaster "Like it never even happened."
Do You Know What To Do When Your Home Has Water Damage?
Water Damage and Flood Tips
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage to your Rockland County New York home or business. To help ensure a water damage is handled correctly follow these steps:
Call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County:
SERVPRO Southern Rockland County Technicians will provide the following services in a timely and professional manner.
Inspection: Our Service Technicians will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning any work.
Emergency Service: Technicians will take steps to help protect your home of business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further damages by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step by step.
Monitoring: To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, a technician will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently be communicated to you.
Restoration Services: Are available upon request. We will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property. A final walk-through of the job-site will be conducted with you.
Emergency Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Place aluminium foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Don't enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don't use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water *this could cause electrical shock and/or damage to the vacuum.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water. Watch for a possible Ceiling collapse.
SERVPRO is an IICRC Certified firm and our Service Technicians will quickly and professionally clean and restore your home to pre-damage condition.
Defense Against Mold: Rapid Water Damage Cleanup
Did you know? Prompt water damage mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth, which can be visible in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions. The faster the water is removed, the less chance of serious damage or excessive mold growth will happen to your building.
Follow these tips to help prevent mold growth in your home or business.
- Keep the humidity between 30 and 60 percent.
- Provide proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
Don't forget to contact SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County for professional water removal and mold mitigation. We are a local company with over 25 years of experience in the water and mold remediation industry. Our Production Managers are IICRC Certified and our Service Crews are highly trained and have professional grade equipment to facilitate proper cleanup. Don't hesitate to call us at (845) 400-4888. We are Faster to any size disaster.
Got Water? Mother Nature May Need Help
What exactly does it mean to "help" Mother Nature?
A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material-but only if the air is, indeed, drier. The only problem is, nature takes too long and secondary damages like mold may occur while the building is drying out.
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County has the tools and professional equipment to help Mother Nature along, including equipment to help dry hardwood floors, and tough-to-reach spaces inside walls and much more.
The bottom Line? SERVPRO has the equipment and training to help make water damage "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage Disaster at Commercial Properties
SERVPRO provides expert water damage cleanup and restoration in Suffern
There's no such thing as a small disaster: especially when the water you don't see trapped behind walls and under floors contains bacteria or can cause mold, rot and other unseen damage until it is out of control.
Water damage can affect the value of your Rockland County property. Before you get out the mop bucket and try to clean it yourself, consider how the damage can affect your business if it is not cleaned properly and quickly.
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County knows how disruptive water damage can be for your business. Our Office Staff, Production Manager, and Service Technicians are trained and equipped to manage the drying process from start to finish. By assessing the damage and utilizing the proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your commercial building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which will help prevent secondary damage such as mold.
With rapid response time, 24/7 emergency service, and a full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO of Rockland County can help you regain control quickly, by helping to ensure your facility and its contents are properly dried, cleaned, and deodorized.
Before you risk further damaging the value of your commercial property, and losing precious hours doing business call your local professional cleanup crew at SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County (845) 400-4888.
The Science to Drying Water Damage
Did you know?
There is actually a science behind the process of drying. Having the knowledge of psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water-damaged structure to its preloss condition. SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County technicians are trained in the science of drying and follow IICRC industry approved standards. This helps lower the chances of any secondary damages like mold growth.
Here are the steps we will take to ensure your water damage restoration is handled correctly and efficiently.
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
What exactly does it mean to help "speed up mother nature"?
A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material-but only if the air-is drier. The only issue is that nature often takes too long and secondary damage such as mold may occur. SERVPRO has special equipment and tools to help dry hard wood floors, and hard to reach spaces inside walls. We use modern moisture monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process called DryBook to help speed the drying of your home or business. DryBook is a proprietary tool that provides real-time documentation and updates on the drying process. It helps ensure industry drying requirements are met. With DryBook Mobile, you have the ability to know exactly where your property is in the drying process.
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County has the training, equipment and technology to help make your water damage disaster "Like it never even happened."
Minimizing the Impact of a Water Damage Disaster
Water causes millions of dollars in damage to residential and commercial properties every year.
What is the Cause of the Damage?
There are frequent leaks in plumbing, overflowing bathtubs and toilets, malfunctioning hot water heaters, dishwashers and washing machines, and many more. The water spreads from the source, and if the cause is not contained quickly, water can spread to every area of the home. There are steps the average homeowner can take to contain the damage until help arrives.
How can SERVPRO Help?
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County provides water damage mitigation and restoration services in Rockland County and surrounding areas. Our Production Managers are IICRC Certified and Service Technicians are trained to follow IICRC certified water mitigation and removal techniques to minimize the damage to your home. We aim to remove all excess moisture and dry your home to avoid potential mold infestations that can affect your health as well as the structure of your home or business.
What Can You Do to Minimize the Impact of Water in Your Home?
After shutting off the valve to the central water intake to your home and calling your plumber for repairs and SERVPRO for cleanup and restoration help, there are several things that homeowners can consider to minimize the damage. First, make sure that it is safe to enter the area. There is no need to make a bad situation worse by slipping and falling or being shocked by an exposed electrical connection that has been immersed in water.
Secondly, colorful items such as pillow cushions and magazines can leak and stain porous surfaces. If possible, remove all wet items away from wet carpeting and furniture. Lift furniture legs and place aluminum foil under the legs. High humidity can damage decorative items such as paintings and other valuable items. Remove these items as quickly as possible to another area where there are lower humidity levels.
SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day and arrives on-site as soon as possible. Our Service Technicians can pack out your contents, and move heavier items if needed. After removing contents we will begin removing water and moisture from your home with commercial grade fans and air scrubbers. We want to return your home to normal humidity levels quickly to avoid mold growth.
Call our Customer Service department at SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County at (845) 400-4888 to learn about all our cleaning and restoration services. We proudly serve all of Rockland County and the surrounding areas. We are #heretohelp when it matters most.
The Problem is: The Water You Don't See
Water Damage Clean up
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County has the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
We have a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by our trained SERVPRO staff.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO staff can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easliy penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor-causing particles.
The bottom line? At SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County we have the training and equipment to help make it "Like it never even happened." Give us a call today (845) 400-4888.
Understanding Different Types of Water Damage Disasters
When your Southern Rockland County home or business suffers a water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup.
There are three types of water. Clean water is water from a broken pipe, or other water source; rainwater is also considered clean. The term gray water is used to classify slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes gray water when left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminants to begin growing, making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals.
Consider taking the following precautions to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Damage from Clean Water:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Turn off the circuit breakers for wet areas of the building is access to the power distribution panel is safe from potential electric shock. Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more even drying.
- Move moisture sensitive items like paintings, documents, and computers to a safe dry place.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors as they may cause staining.
- Do not use your house hold vacuum to remove water as there is potential for electric shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet; do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Damage from Contaminated Water:
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated area.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants.
When you have a water damage disaster, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County we are your remediation and restoration experts.