How Can Ceiling Leaks Be Dangerous in Suffern Properties?
During flood water removal and restoration for Suffern properties, SERVPRO technicians monitor the moisture levels to prevent mold growth
SERVPRO Removes Hanging Debris from Suffern Water Damaged Structures
When a home has a ceiling leak, it is an indication of a more significant issue. The key to limiting damage to the property and contents is to locate the source. After storms deliver copious amounts of water that causes flash floods when the floor takes on moisture, it can wreck the ceiling below in the basement.
SERVPRO technicians inspect Suffern homes for flood damage issues upon arrival, and the technicians use more than visuals. The techs have access to many equipment types to locate moisture collections within the structure without removing portions of the floor or wall to find water migration paths.
Some of the most relied on devices SERVPRO uses are:
- Infrared cameras that do not detect water but temperatures
- Probes to find leaking into the subfloor
- Equipment to take air moisture readings
Ceiling leaks can be hazardous to be around in a home. As the sheetrock wicks water, it swells and deteriorates until it finally falls. When large pieces of the ceiling collapse, it has the potential to cause injury.
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County at (845) 400-4888 brings years of experience and the latest technological advances to every Suffern flood damage cleanup job.
How Can Fire Damage Restoration Services Save Suffern Property Owners Money?
Full-service fire damage cleanup and restoration for Suffern homes are what SERVPRO does best. We erase evidence of a house fire, including odors.
Contact SERVPRO for House Fire Clean-Up in Suffern
After a fire in a home, when it comes to insurance claims, one of the most costly factors for the insurance company is replacing items lost to the flames. Using a professional company to renew items through cleaning is a way to keep costs down.
SERVPRO goes into Suffern fire damage restoration job to clean away the soot and fire damage to help homeowners reclaim as many of their possessions as possible.
The technicians have numerous tools and advanced methods taught through the IICRC, the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. For example, washable clothing with heavy smoke damage may not be a loss when it gets cleaned for reuse using the Esporta Washing System, saving the replacement cost. SERVPRO techs rely on a wide array of fire restoration equipment such as:
- Dry cleaning sponges for house fire clean up of dry smoke residues
- Hand vacuums for smoke damage cleanup
- Cleaning agents with solvents to force sticky smoke residues to release their grip on surfaces
- Odor control devices to eliminate smoke odors in the home
SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County at (845) 400-4888 handles fire damage restoration for local Suffern properties and makes the problems "Like it never even happened."
Local Suffern Property Owners Rely on SERVPRO for Expert Water Damage Restoration Services
Need help with mitigating water damage from a roof leak ruining your Suffern home's ceiling? SERVPRO provides the solutions--and fast.
SERVPRO Brings Years of Experience and Knowledge to Handle Suffern Water Damage Remediation
For its size as a small village in New York, Suffern's town has a large number of historically significant sites. Of particular interest to history buffs, George Washington stayed in the village on several occasions as America fought to get freed from British rule.
Suffern is a stop on the Washington–Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail, designated by the National Park Service. This trail recreates the route taken by General Washington and the French Comte de Rochambeau as they traveled to the siege of Yorktown, Virginia. This battle led to the victory for the newly named United States in gaining independence. This was no small number of soldiers. The Rochambeau encampment had roughly 5,000 men that stayed in August 1781, where the presently located Lafayette Theater, named for Revolutionary War Hero Marquis de Lafayette, resides. After the battle in Yorktown, the men came through again in September 1782 as they headed to New York and set up camp in the same place. There is a historical marker on the Washington Avenue side of the Lafayette Theater that marks the space as Rochambeau's Encampment site. At the time of the encampment, the place was across the road from the home and tavern owned by John Suffern, the village's founder. The property was torn down in the late 1800s and is now the Suffern Furniture Company's home. The top historic places to visit in the village are:
- Rochambeau Encampment located at Lafayette and Washington avenues
- Soldier's Monument, also known as Washington Ave. Monument,
- Suffern's Depot Located at 1 Erie Plaza
Some world-renowned brands have established bases in Suffern. The first railroad to cross Rockland County was the Erie Railroad. In exchange for the right-of-way given to the rail to run through Suffern by Judge Edward Suffern, son of the founder, the Erie Railroad named the depot "Suffern's Station." Another well-known company got its start in Suffern as the California Perfume Company when they built a laboratory in 1897. The lab went on to expand to 3,000 square feet and employ many residents when it re-branded as Avon Products. By 2005, the company expanded its global hub to a 225,000 square foot research and development facility in Suffern.
How Does SERVPRO Limit Disruption to Suffern Homes During Water Damage Restoration Services?
When SERVPRO technicians handle Suffern water damage, there are considerable efforts to disturb the home as little as possible. It is stressful to have a burst pipe or ceiling leaks from a damaged roof, and the techs know that. They make every effort to move out as few furnishings as possible, including:
- Putting furniture on blocks to dry in place during water removal services
- Use of secured pods on-site when interior humidity may further cause water damage repairs needed
- When circumstances require pack out, items get put back exactly in their original location
The portable pumps and maneuverable ride-on water extraction equipment used by SERVPRO allow the technicians to move around furnishings while still perform professional water removal services.
For fast, efficient water damage restoration services, call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County at (845) 400-4888. The trained, certified technicians are available 24/7 to make the issues caused by the water "Like it never even happened."
Not A Good Surprise: Mold Found Inside A Wall
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors.
This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. SERVPRO has specialized mold removal equipment and trained technicians to get the job done right. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any source of water must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your porperty and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - (845) 400-4888. Visit our Mold Web Page to learn about all our services
Time is a Precious Commodity: SERVPRO Is Faster To Any Size Disaster
When you need your water, fire or mold disaster cleaned up right and done fast, call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County for all your commercial cleaning and restoration needs. Because, when you experience a fire, water or mold damage disaster in your business facility, you need fast response and the expertise to get the job done right. Ensuring your Rockland County business can get back into operation as quickly as possible.
Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price. SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County is committed to providing our customers with the very best service to reduce business interruptions and recovery costs.
Our SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County Service Technicians can provide:
- Over 25 years of experience as a leading fire, water and mold cleanup and restoration provider.
- 24/7 on call emergency service for faster response to your damage disaster. A fast response time helps to ensure the damage is contained and repair costs are lower.
- Large loss capabilities- no fire or water damage is too big. We have commercial grade equipment ready to handle any size disaster.
Quality cleaning and fast response is the SERVPRO of Southern Rockland way!
Is Your Home Winter READY?
Did You Know? We Cleanup Water damage caused by storms. Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rains, freezing temperatures, sleet or snow, all can cause serious and costly property damage. Take steps to be prepared and help take the sting out of the winter blues.
- After winter storms check your property for downed tree limbs.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutters should be clear of debris and directed away from buildings.
- Inspect property for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairs, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post cautions signs.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temps fall below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the cabinet doors open.
- Consider turning outdoor faucets off at the main valve. Once shut remember to drain the outdoor faucet.
When winter weather strikes and causes a disaster, call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County to strike back!
The Problem: It's the water you don't see
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a serious problem that will affect your property. Our SERVPRO Southern Rockland County service technicians have the training and equipment to find and dry unseen water before secondary damage occurs. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage and expense during a fire or water damage event.
When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to work, here are just a few of the tools our technicians use to do their job and restore your property.
Moisture sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate reading, allowing technicians to monitor the drying process.
Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, technicians can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but also to disinfect and deodorize.
Ultra Low-Volume Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard to reach areas.
Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor causing particles.
These are just a few pieces of the professional grade equipment that each SERVPRO technician is trained to use to help ensure your property is completely restored.
At SERVPRO of Southern County we handle more than just water damage
Recognized as a leading fire, water, and mold restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County also offers fast and reliable mold, biohazard/sewage, vandalism and crime scene cleanup and restoration services. Visit our website to learn more.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO service technicians are trained to safely and effectively remove bio-hazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Rockland County helps turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
Our services cover the following issues:
- Bloodbourne Pathogens: SERVPRO removes and disposes of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substance resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Technicians clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
- Methamphetamine Labs: Many chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout a structure. SERVPRO follows federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
- Crime Scene Residues: Fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues can be cleaned from surfaces and contents to restore your property.
- Arson and Vandalism: After the fire trucks are gone, your home and belongings likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO has the specialized fire and water damage cleanup and restoration training and experience to quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. We also have specific training and equipment for odor removal and deep cleaning of upholstery and carpet.
- Sewage Backups: Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- Black Water Intrusions: This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation: Mold can produce allergens and irritants and has the potential to cause other health effects. Mold can spread quickly through your home or business in as little as 48 hours. If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise for the remediation of your mold infestation.
Trust the professionals at SERVPRO of Southern County (845) 400-4888.
Is Your Rockland County Home Ready For Winter Weather?
With temps getting colder, here are some tips to avoid frozen pipes:
On The Inside:
- If you will be away from home for days at a time, make sure that all of your pipes are kept warm, especially in spaces that receive little or no heat.
- If any pipes will stay exposed to freezing temperatures, open up one faucet with a very small drip to keep water moving through the pipes.
On The Outside:
Protect your pipes as you would protect your plants.
- Cover up your outside faucets with foam or towels to insulate them. Especially if you plan to be away from home this winter, remember to leave your contact information with a neighbor.
- You might consider giving them a key to your home, too, and leaving your preferred plumber's contact information behind should an emergency occur.
- If your pipes burst and your home has water damage call SERVPRO of Southern Rockland County. (845) 400-4888.
Fire Safety: Every Second Counts
Every second counts during a fire. Fire experts agree; people have as little as two minutes to escape a burning home or work space. It is critical to be prepared and have an escape plan in place.
Once the plan is developed, it is critical everyone in the home or office understands the plan. The best way to do this is to discuss and practice the plan at least twice a year.
The following are a suggestions to help you develop an emergency escape plan:
- Draw a map of each level of your home or business and show all the doors and windows. Find two ways to get out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead to outside open easily.
- Consider escape ladders for sleeping areas on the second floor. Only purchase collapsible escape ladders evaluated by a recognized testing laoratory.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance from the home or business where everyone can meet. Make sure to mark this location on the map.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you annot help them.
Here are some Fire Prevention tips:
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and test them monthly.
- Don't Wait, Check the Date-Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Store matches and Lighters safely, mainly out of the reach of children. Also, make sure you store them in locations where combustion or exposure to flames might be an issue.
- Practice proper cooking safety. Don't leave cooking food unattended, have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen, keep children and pets away from the kitchen while cooking.
- Be careful with all open flames, never leave them unattended.
- Generators should always be used outside the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when a generator is not working or vented properly.
The key is to reduce risks by practicing fire safety in your home and business, while there are no guarantees taking these steps will help prevent fires and keep your property, family or coworkers safe.
Read our Fire Damage restoration services page to learn more.