Is Your Home Ready for Fall and Winter Storms
Cold weather and winter storms can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rains and wind, freezing temperatures, sleet or snow, all can cause serious and costly property damage. Take steps to be prepared and help take the sting out of the winter blues.
- After winter storms check your property for downed tree limbs and branches. Downed limbs can cause damage to your property and lead to possible water damage issues.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutters should be clear of debris and directed away from buildings. Leaves and other obstructions can cause a damming effect, which can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairs, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post cautions signs.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temps fall below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the cabinet doors open.
- Consider turning outdoor faucets off at the main valve. Once shut remember to drain the outdoor faucet.
Check out our Water and Storm Damage tips.
When winter weather strikes and causes a disaster, call SERVPRO to strike back!
Does Your Rockland County Business have an Escape Plan?
An emergency escape plan is not required for all businesses, however, OSHA recommends building an emergency action plan to protect yourself, your employees, and your business during an emergency. OSHA suggests the following steps when developing a plan.
Organize an Emergency Preparedness Procedures review with employees to review your emergency plans. You may wish to select an individual or team of individuals to lead and coordinate your emergency plan.
Once a plan is developed, post evacuation procedures, including routes and exits, where they are easily accessible to all employees. Ensure all exits and routes are clearly marked and will lit, wide enough to accommodate the number of evacuating personnel, and unobstructed and clear of debris at all times.
Conduct office evacuation exercises and drills. Designate a safe spot outside of the facility where employees can regroup, recover and conduct a head count. Once completed, evaluate how well the plan worked and if additional training or exercises are needed.
SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County can help you and your business with the cleanup after any water, sewage or fire disaster. But first make sure your employees, and customers are safe by planning ahead and having a plan.
Read our about our Fire Damage Cleanup Services.
*Tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
September is National Preparedness Month: Preparing Your Business Property Makes Sense
September is National Preparedness Month, and it is the perfect opportunity to share the benefits of having a readiness plan in place with your customers, employees and family.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are "Ready for whatever happens." In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations, and priority locations.
- The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download the SERVPRO free Ready Plan APP to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. Knowing who to call in advance is key to a quick response and timely mitigation, helping to minimize the amount of time your business is inactive.
Preparation is the key to making it through any disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. No one plans on a disaster, but now you can have a plan in place when it happens.
To learn more about National Preparedness Month visit: https://www.ready.gov/september
Ready to start your ERP? Call our office at 845-753-3730 and speak with Art Holl. Or contact us via Email.
Water Damage in a Commercial Space is always treated with a Quick Response
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response.
At SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County we are experienced at dealing with any size disaster scenario, a large scale event that effects many floors, offices or warehouse space, and even a small office with a limited water damage disaster. We work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professional Service Technicians are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area of your business. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we'll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County
SERVPRO of Sourthern Rockland and Eastern Rockland County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial properties after a water damage event. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our Crew
Why SERVPRO? Charlie and Donna Vingoe
Charlie and Donna Vingoe
Charlie and Donna Vingoe have been the proud owners of SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County for the past 25 years. Since 1995 they have been providing exceptional service to residential and commercial clients in the damage restoration industry of water, fire, mold, and commercial cleanup. As a trusted leader in the restoration industry, our goal is to provide excellent customer service and do what is best for our customers to complete the restoration of their property to its preloss condition, and make it "Like it never even happened."
Our staff understands the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage disaster, and the disruption it causes your life, home or business. When an unexpected disaster strikes, professional and compassionate contact from the initial phone call to the promised timely arrival can relieve the stressful conditions for the property owner. Our well-trained, IICRC certified Production Managers and Service Technicians are available 24/7 to mitigate the damage and help restore not only the structure, but also to support our customers.
Our “SERVPRO Green Trucks” are full with commercial grade equipment and products ready to help restore your property and life back to its original state or better! Our customers can rest assure that our Production Managers and Office Staff will assist them through the difficult process with insurance claims and paperwork. No damage is too large or small for SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County.
For the past twenty-five years we have worked in the area, so we understand the nuances and vibe of Rockland County. We are also members of the local BNI’s of Rockland County and various other organizations.
Charlie and Donna, have a great team of Production Managers, Service Technicians and Office Staff, and are proud members of the local community and SERVPRO community of franchises. Don’t hesitate to call us in your time of need after a water, fire or biohazard disaster, we are “Here to Help” (845) 753-3730.
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
Mold, Biohazard and Cleaning Services: Not just water and fire damage cleanup
Recognized as a leading fire, water, and mold restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County, also offers fast and reliable biohazard, vandalism and crime scene cleanup and restoration services.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Rockland County technicians are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Rockland County helps turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
Our services cover the following issues:
- Bloodbourne Pathogens: SERVPRO removes and disposes of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substance resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Technicians clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
- Methamphetamine Labs: Many chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs, are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout a structure. SERVPRO follows federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
- Crime Scene Residues: Fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues can be cleaned from surfaces and contents to restore your property.
- Arson and Vandalism: After the fire trucks are gone, your home and belongings likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO has the specialized fire and water damage cleanup and restoration training and experience to quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. We also have specific training and equipment for odor removal and deep cleaning of upholstery and carpet.
- Sewage Backups: Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- Black Water Intrusions: This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation: Mold can produce allergens and irritants and has the potential to cause other health effects. Mold can spread quickly through your home or business in as little as 48 hours. If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to re-mediate your mold infestation.
Don't leave the cleanup of your home or business to just anyone call the professionals at SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County at 845-753-3730. We are a locally owned and operated company that has been proudly serving the local Rockland County, New York area for 25 years.
Plan Ahead: Make sure your Business is Ready for Potential Disasters
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile and Ready App
In the event of an emergency, the ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility.
The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. The ERP also establishes SERVPRO Southern and Eastern Rockland County as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to 25 years of experience in water, sewage, mold and fire cleanup.
The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save you time and money in the future. By downloading the FREE SERVPRO READY App, this information is stored electronically and can be accessed using your mobile device putting help at your fingertips.
Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building quickly following a disaster. Don't wait until disaster strikes--resolve to Be READY.
Call SERVPRO to establish your Emergency READY Profile, and be "Ready for whatever happens" in 2020 and 2021.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County is #heretohelp
SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County Has Drying Down To A Science
Did You Know There is Actually a Science Behind the Drying Process?
Having the knowledge of psychrometrics is essential to restoring a water-damaged structure to its preloss condition. Our SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County Service Technicians are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damage to your home or business property.
What is the Science of Drying?
The Science of Drying is a process that was created to establish industry guidelines, regulated techniques, and provide validation and documentation on the drying process.
Why is it important?
When it comes to water damage, there’s nothing more important than making sure the job is done right the first time. Doing so relies on a restoration company like SERVPRO that is dedicated to training, technology and technique. SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County is an industry leader in all three. We have the equipment to help dry hardwood floors, hard to reach spaces inside walls and much more. We also have state of the art monitoring equipment and a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your home or business. The technology of DryBook a proprietary tool that provides real-time documentation and updates on the drying process and helps ensure industry standards are met.
Our Service Technicians Will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in the wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature-by using professional drying equipment.
The bottom line? SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County has the training, equipment the technology to make your water damage or storm flood damage disaster "Like it never even happened."
Tips to Avoid Mold Growth
Mold on wood beam
Did you know? Prompt water mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth, which can be visible in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions. The faster the water is removed, the less chance of serious damage or excessive mold growth will happen to your home or business property.
Follow these tips to help prevent mold growth in your home or business:
- Keep the humidity between 30 and 60 percent.
- Provide proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
Visit our Mold information page to learn more about our mold services.
Don't forget time is critical, so contact SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County for professional water removal and mold mitigation. We are Faster to any size disaster.
Stay Safe From Summer Storms
While the spring season is known for severe thunderstorms and heavy rainstorms, the threat also exists throughout the summer months as well.
It’s difficult to prepare for the unpredictable, there are steps you can take now to help ensure you are ready when disaster strikes. One way to prepare your business for any type of disaster, is to establish an Emergency Ready profile (ERP). Contact Art Holl at SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County (845-753-3730) to discuss how this program can help your business. For home owners download the Ready Plan APP for free and select SERVPRO of Southern and Eastern Rockland County as your preferred restoration specialist.
Consider the following tips when preparing for an approaching storm:
Before the Storm:
- Build an emergency supply kit and develop a communication plan
- Unplug any electronic equipment before the storm arrives
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains
During the Storm:
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates from local officials
- Avoid contact with corded phones, cordless and cellular are safe to use
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords
- Unplug appliances and other electrical items or devices. Power surges can cause serious damage
- Avoid contact with plumbing, fixtures can conduct electricity
- Stay away from windows and doors
After the Storm:
- Never drive through a flooded roadway
- Stay away from storm damaged areas to keep from putting yourself at risk
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately
Here is a recommended emergency supply kit:
- Water-1 gallon for per person per day
- Food- non-perishable 3-day supply
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio-preferably a NOAA Weather Radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Clothing-fast drying
- Dust masks or bandanna
- Plastic sheeting or garbage bags and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents or photos of documents-copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in waterproof container