Is Your Home Ready for Fall and Winter Storms
Cold weather and winter storms can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rains and wind, freezing temperatures, sleet or snow, all can cause serious and costly property damage. Take steps to be prepared and help take the sting out of the winter blues.
- After winter storms check your property for downed tree limbs and branches. Downed limbs can cause damage to your property and lead to possible water damage issues.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutters should be clear of debris and directed away from buildings. Leaves and other obstructions can cause a damming effect, which can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairs, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post cautions signs.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temps fall below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the cabinet doors open.
- Consider turning outdoor faucets off at the main valve. Once shut remember to drain the outdoor faucet.
When winter weather strikes and causes a disaster, call SERVPRO to strike back!