Fires Are Preventable
When it comes to your home or business property, there are certain safety precautions that can be taken to help prevent fires.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
- Frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately ad do not run cords under rugs of furniture.
- If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never try to force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut-off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Fireplace and Woodstoves
- Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check monthly for damage or obstructions
- Use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop rolling logs and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying sparks.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.